🥦 Veggie Stir-Fry with Tofu Recipe
Veggie Stir-Fry with Tofu
You will need:
- 14 oz firm tofu
- 2 cups mixed vegetables (carrots, bell peppers, broccoli, snow peas)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 green onions, chopped
- First, press the tofu between kitchen towels to remove as much moisture as possible. This will help the tofu get crispy when stir-fried.
- Next, cut the tofu into 1-inch cubes. This size is perfect for stir-fry and will cook evenly.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a wok over high heat. High heat is essential for stir-frying as it cooks the food quickly and helps to seal in the flavors.
- Add the tofu to the wok and stir-fry until it's golden brown on all sides. Be sure to stir frequently to prevent the tofu from sticking to the wok.
- Once the tofu is cooked, remove it from the wok and set it aside on a plate.
- In the same wok, add the minced garlic and grated ginger. Stir-fry these for about a minute until they become fragrant. These aromatics will provide a flavorful base for the stir-fry.
- Add the mixed vegetables to the wok. You can use any combination of vegetables you like, such as carrots, bell peppers, broccoli, and snow peas. Stir-fry the vegetables until they're tender but still have a bit of crunch.
- In a small bowl, mix together the soy sauce, cornstarch, and vegetable broth. This will create a savory sauce that will coat the vegetables and tofu.
- Pour the sauce over the vegetables in the wok and bring it to a simmer. The heat will thicken the sauce and help it stick to the vegetables and tofu.
- Add the cooked tofu back to the wok and stir everything together to combine. Make sure all the tofu and vegetables are coated in the sauce.
- Finally, garnish the stir-fry with chopped green onions and serve it hot. The green onions add a fresh, crisp finish to the dish.
This is a versatile recipe and you can replace the tofu with chicken or shrimp if you prefer. Similarly, feel free to use any vegetables you have on hand.
Embrace the vibrant flavors of Asia with this simple yet delicious Veggie Stir-Fry with Tofu recipe. This dish is a celebration of textures and colors, combining the firmness of tofu with the crunch of fresh vegetables, all stir-fried to perfection in your trusty wok. It's a recipe that's not only packed with nutrition but also brimming with taste.
One of the key elements of this recipe is the tofu, a versatile ingredient that absorbs the flavors of the dish while adding a unique texture. It's an excellent source of protein, especially for those on a vegetarian or vegan diet. But don't worry if tofu isn't your thing; this recipe is flexible. Feel free to substitute it with your preferred protein like chicken or shrimp.
Another star of this dish is the medley of vegetables. The combination of carrots, bell peppers, broccoli, and snow peas offers a delightful crunch and a variety of nutrients. However, the beauty of a stir-fry lies in its versatility. You can easily swap these vegetables for whatever you have on hand or prefer.
What brings this dish together is the sauce. The blend of soy sauce, fresh ginger, and garlic creates an aromatic base, while the cornstarch and vegetable broth concoction adds a glossy finish that coats every ingredient. The result is a flavorful sauce that enhances rather than overpowers the natural flavors of the vegetables and tofu.
And let's not forget the role of the wok in this culinary adventure. The high, sloping sides of a wok make it ideal for stir-frying, as it ensures even heat distribution and allows the food to cook quickly without losing its crunch. If you're new to wok cooking, this recipe is a great place to start.
Finally, the dish is garnished with chopped green onions, adding a pop of color and a fresh, oniony flavor that complements the stir-fry perfectly. Serve it hot, straight from the wok, for a satisfying meal that's sure to impress.
So, are you ready to take your taste buds on a journey to Asia? Grab your wok and let's get cooking!