🥢 Mapo Tofu Recipe: Authentic Sichuan Dish
You will need:
- 350g soft tofu
- 150g minced pork
- 2 tbsp Sichuan bean paste
- 1 tbsp fermented black beans
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Sichuan peppercorns
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- Start by cutting the tofu into 1-inch cubes and set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a wok over medium heat.
- Add the Sichuan peppercorns and cook until fragrant.
- Add the minced pork to the wok and cook until browned.
- Stir in the Sichuan bean paste, fermented black beans, and minced garlic. Cook for a few minutes until the flavors meld together.
- Add the tofu cubes to the wok and gently stir to coat the tofu with the sauce.
- In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch with the water to create a slurry. Pour this into the wok and gently stir.
- Cook for a few more minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Garnish with the chopped spring onions before serving.
Be careful not to stir the tofu too vigorously as it can break apart easily. You can substitute the minced pork with beef or chicken if you prefer.
Embark on a culinary journey to the heart of Sichuan province with our Mapo Tofu recipe. This classic Chinese dish, known for its spicy and flavorful profile, is a staple in wok cooking. The soft tofu, minced pork, and Sichuan bean paste blend together to create a symphony of flavors that will tantalize your taste buds.
One of the key ingredients in this recipe is the soft tofu. If you're new to tofu, you might be surprised at how versatile it can be in Asian cuisine. Tofu is a healthy and flavorful addition to any wok-cooked meal, and our Mapo Tofu recipe showcases it beautifully.
Another element that makes this dish stand out is the Sichuan peppercorns. These little gems are responsible for the unique numbing sensation that is characteristic of Sichuan cuisine. If you're curious about other popular Asian dishes and how they taste, you'll find that Sichuan peppercorns are a common thread in many recipes.
While the Mapo Tofu recipe calls for minced pork, it's worth noting that you can easily substitute it with other proteins like beef or chicken. If you're looking for more healthy and tasty recipes for wok cooking, don't hesitate to experiment with different ingredients.
Finally, don't forget the importance of the wok in this culinary adventure. The wok's high heat and quick cooking time ensure that the flavors of the ingredients are sealed in, resulting in a dish that's as delicious as it is nutritious.
So, why not give our Mapo Tofu recipe a try? Whether you're a seasoned wok cook or a beginner, this dish is sure to impress. Remember, the secret to great wok cooking lies in the freshness of the ingredients, the right heat, and of course, the love you put into it. Happy wok cooking!