🍲 Kung Pao Chicken Recipe 🍗
Kung Pao Chicken
You will need:
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 dried red chilies
- 1 teaspoon Szechuan peppercorns
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1/2 cup unsalted roasted peanuts
- 2 green onions, chopped
- First, cut the chicken into chunks and marinate it in a mixture of soy sauce, hoisin sauce, rice vinegar, and cornstarch. Let it sit for at least 15 minutes to absorb the flavors.
- Next, heat the vegetable oil in your cast iron wok over medium heat. The wok's high sides and even heat distribution make it perfect for stir-frying.
- Once the oil is hot, add the dried red chilies and Szechuan peppercorns to the wok. Stir-fry them for a minute until they start to darken and become fragrant. This will infuse the oil with a spicy flavor.
- Then, add the minced garlic and ginger to the wok. Stir-fry them until they're golden and aromatic. These ingredients add a depth of flavor to the dish.
- Now, add the marinated chicken to the wok. Stir-fry it until it's fully cooked and has a nice, golden color. The wok's high heat will sear the chicken and lock in the juices.
- Finally, add the roasted peanuts and chopped green onions to the wok. Stir everything together well so that the chicken and peanuts are coated in the sauce. The peanuts add a nice crunch and the green onions provide a fresh, bright flavor.
For a vegetarian version, replace the chicken with tofu. You can also add other vegetables like bell peppers or zucchini for added nutrition.
Explore the vibrant flavors of traditional Chinese cuisine with our simple and delicious Kung Pao Chicken recipe. This classic dish, cooked in a wok, combines the juicy tenderness of chicken with the crunch of peanuts and the fiery kick of dried red chilies. With a few simple steps, you can bring this iconic Asian dish to your dinner table.
Start by marinating the chicken in a flavorful mix of soy sauce, hoisin sauce, rice vinegar, and cornstarch. This not only tenderizes the chicken but also infuses it with a rich, savory taste that is the hallmark of Chinese cooking. If you're looking for more easy and affordable Asian-inspired recipes, this is a great place to start.
Next, heat up your wok - the star of healthy and tasty wok cooking. Add the dried red chilies and Szechuan peppercorns, and let them sizzle. This releases their heat and aroma, creating a spicy base for your dish. Then, stir-fry the garlic and ginger, two essential ingredients in Chinese cuisine that add a burst of flavor.
Now, it's time to add the marinated chicken to the wok. Stir-fry until it's cooked through and coated with the delicious sauce. Finally, throw in the roasted peanuts and chopped green onions, and give everything a good stir. The peanuts add a delightful crunch, while the green onions provide a fresh, sharp contrast to the rich flavors.
Our Kung Pao Chicken is not only fast, easy, and tasty, but it's also versatile. For a vegetarian version, simply replace the chicken with tofu. You can also add other vegetables like bell peppers or zucchini for added nutrition and color. With this recipe, you can easily cook traditional Chinese food at home.
So, why wait? Grab your wok and let's get cooking!