🍤 Crispy Asian Deep-Fried Shrimp Recipe
Crispy Asian Deep-Fried Shrimp
You will need:
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 cups vegetable oil for frying
- Salt and pepper to taste
- First, thoroughly season the shrimp with salt and pepper, ensuring each piece is evenly coated.
- In a separate bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, cornstarch, and baking powder. This mixture will create a light and crispy batter for the shrimp.
- Gradually add the cold water to the dry mixture, stirring constantly. The batter should be smooth and thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Heat the vegetable oil in the wok over medium-high heat. Use a thermometer to ensure the oil reaches 375°F, the optimal temperature for deep-frying.
- Dip each shrimp into the batter, ensuring it's fully coated, then carefully drop it into the hot oil. Be careful not to overcrowd the wok as this can lower the oil's temperature and result in soggy, undercooked shrimp.
- Deep-fry the shrimp for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Use a slotted spoon to remove the shrimp from the oil and drain on paper towels. Serve immediately for the best taste and texture.
Always be cautious when deep-frying. Never leave hot oil unattended and be careful not to splash or drop food into the oil from a height as this can cause splattering.
Unleash the culinary artist in you and dive into the world of Asian cuisine with our delicious and easy-to-make Crispy Asian Deep-Fried Shrimp recipe. This dish is not just a treat to your taste buds, but also a fun and exciting cooking experience that allows you to explore the versatility of your wok.
When it comes to Asian cuisine, the wok is the quintessential cooking vessel. Its unique design allows for quick, high-heat cooking - perfect for achieving that golden, crispy exterior and succulent interior that makes this shrimp dish so irresistible. Whether you're a seasoned chef or a kitchen novice, the wok is your trusty companion for this culinary adventure.
Embrace the Wok
Using a wok for deep-frying might seem unconventional, but it's a common practice in many Asian kitchens. The wok's high, sloping sides make it ideal for frying, as it requires less oil than a traditional deep fryer. This makes your dish not only delicious but also economical! Plus, the wok's design ensures even heat distribution for perfectly cooked shrimp every time.
Quality Ingredients, Quality Dish
As with any recipe, the quality of your ingredients can make or break your dish. For our Crispy Asian Deep-Fried Shrimp, we recommend using large, fresh shrimp for the best texture and taste. The batter, made from all-purpose flour, cornstarch, and baking powder, creates a light and crispy coating that complements the succulent shrimp beautifully. Season to your liking with salt and pepper, and you're ready to fry!
Safe and Savory Frying
Deep-frying in a wok is easy, but it's essential to keep safety in mind. Always monitor your oil's temperature - too hot, and your shrimp may burn; too cool, and they may end up greasy. A steady 375°F is just right for achieving that perfect golden brown. And remember, when adding your battered shrimp to the oil, do so carefully to avoid splashes.
Once your shrimp are fried to perfection, drain them on paper towels to remove excess oil. Now, all that's left is to serve and enjoy! Whether as a main dish or an appetizer, our Crispy Asian Deep-Fried Shrimp is sure to impress. So grab your wok and let's get cooking!